哈佛大学学院情景对话:哈佛深红报
哈佛大学学院情景对话:哈佛深红报
哈佛大学,简称哈佛。坐落于美国马萨诸塞州剑桥市,是一所享誉世界的私立研究型大学,是著名的常春藤盟校成员,被公认为是当今世界最顶尖的高等教育机构之一。下面学习啦小编为大家带来关于哈佛大学校园生活情景对话,欢迎大家学习!
哈佛大学校园生活情景对话:哈佛深红报
John is reading the newspaper before class.
H: Han Meimei J: John
H: Hey, John, what are you reading?
H:嗨,约翰,你在看什么?
J: The Harvard Crimson.
J:在看《哈佛深红报》。
H: Is it a newspaper published by Harvard University?
H:这是哈佛大学出版的吗?
J: Not exactly, it’s published by Harvard Crimson, Inc.
J:不完全是,是哈佛深红公司出版的。
H: Is there a difference?
H:不是一样的吗?
J: The company is independent of the university.
J:哈佛深红公司是独立于哈佛大学的。
H: I got it. A lot of universities have their own presses, and the presses have their own staff, and make their own money.
H:我知道了。很多大学有自己的出版社,出版社有自己的员工为自己赚钱。
J: Right. But this one is out of the ordinary. It’s non-profit, and its staff is all undergrads from Harvard College.
J:对,但是这是一个例外。它是非盈利的,而且里面的员工都是哈佛学院的学生。
H: Really? Did I hear it wrong?
H:真的?我没有听错吧?
J : The newspaper is absolutely run by the Harvard College undergraduate students.
J:报刊完全是由哈佛学院的本科生管理的。
H: Amazing! Enough to make a cat speak!
H:哇,真是令入惊讶
J: Don’t appear like Columbus having discovered the New Continent.
J:别一副哥伦布发现新大陆的样子。
H: But I’m really quite shocked. It may be common for students to establish a newspaper. I’ve never heard such a thing as a newspaper run by undergrads can develop into a corporation.
H:但是我真的很惊讶。学生创建一个报刊也许很平常,但我从来没听说过由大学生 管理的报社能够成为一家公司。
J: It's no surprise that you’re so surprised. Few college newspapers in America have their own printing presses, and The Crimson is one of the few.
J:你这么惊讶也不奋怪。因为在美国,几乎没有什么大学报刊有自己的印刷设备, 哈佛大学深红就是少有的一家。
H: You should have told me that earlier. You made me look like a mug.
H:你应该早点告诉我,弄得我像个傻子一样。
J: Sorry, no offense at all.
J:不好意思,我不是故意的。
H: So the newspaper is nan-profitable, and independent of the university. Am I right?
H:所以说报社是不盈利的,并且独立于大学,对吗?
J: Yes, all decisions on the content and day-to-day operations of the newspaper are made by undergraduates, having nothing to do with the university administration.
J:对,报刊的内容和日常管理都是由学生自己决定的,与大学的行政管理设有任何关系
H: Harvard students are, how can I put it, geniuses, given the size of the newspaper.
H:这些学生简直是,怎么说呢,是天才,考虑到报纸的规模。
J: It is one of the first-class universities in the world. You know, a good university is what it is because its students are outstanding.
J:哈佛是世界上最好的大学之一。你也知道,学校好是因为它的学生很优秀。
H: Right. What the newspaper is about?
H:对,报刊有些什么内客啊?
J: It covers everything, from student activities to arts, anything you can think of.
J:它覆盖了所有东西,从学生的活动到艺术,任何你能想到的都有。
H: It sure is big.
H:还真是包罗万象啊。
J: Although it’s all-inclusive,it has adhered to journalistic integrity.
J:尽管它包罗万象,但它仍然保持新闻的完整性。
H: That deserves respect. How often does it come out?
H:那是值得尊重的,那多久出一期啊?
J: One day. It’s daily newspaper, and is the only daily newspaper in our city. It comes out every morning.
J:—天一期,是我市唯一的日报,每天早上出。
H: Does it have enough staff, or students to report the news?
H:有足够的员工或者是学生报道新闻吗?
J: I guess so. And I believe that as long as you become one of them, you can become an editor soon,
J:我想有,而且我相信如果你成为其中一员,你会很快成为一个编辑。
H: An editor? Can I?
H:编辑?我可以吗?
J: Yes, you can do it.
J:你可以的。
H: Not again! I read from your face that you’re trying to make a monkey out of me.
H:少来,你出我洋相吧。
J: Whoops! You saw me through.
J:哎哟,被你看穿了。
H: It’s so transparent. Tell me what’s going on.
H:太明显了。那是怎么一回事啊。
J: It’s quite easy to be an editor of The Crimson. As long as you complete a series of requirements known as the “comp", you can be “elected” an “editor” of the newspaper.
J:成为深红的编辑是很容易的。只要你能够完成"comp"提出的一系列要求,你就 能成为报刊的编辑。
H: Too good to be true.
H:这让人难以置信!
J: Trust me. All staff members of The Crimson, including writers, photographers, and graphic designers, are technically “editors”.
J:相信我,深红里面所有的员工,包括作者,摄影师和图像设计师技术上都是编辑。
H: That’s a little cheap.
H:有点虚伪。
J: Don’t look down upon it. Many editors turned out to be Pulitzer Prize-winners, and even Presidents, for example President Franklin D. Roosevelt and President John F. Kennedy.
J:不要小看啊,有许多编辑后来获得了普利策奖,甚至成为总统,比如说富兰克林?罗 斯福总统和约翰?肯尼迪总统。
H: Impressive. Anyway, “editor” wins more respect Another question I’ve been meaning to ask you, why is the newspaper called The Crimson? Is it because crimson is Harvard's color?
H:真让人印象深刻。无论如何,编辑会赢得更多尊重。我还想问你一个问题,为什 么报刊名为深红?是因为哈佛的颜色是深红色吗?
J: Bingo!
J: 对啦!