职场社交英语(3)
职场社交英语
12、这是生意经
Zina: My accounts go where I go. Vince knows that.
吉娜: 我到哪里,客户就跟到哪。文斯知道的。
Dave: Wow. You are a real snake.
戴夫: 哇。你真狡猾。
Zina: It's business, Dave.
吉娜: 这是生意经,戴夫。
Dave: I know, I know. Kill, or die, right?
戴夫: 我知道,我知道。不是杀人就是被杀,对吧?
Zina: Right. The 1) faint of heart should not 2) apply.
吉娜: 没错。绝对不可以显得胆小。
Dave: I really feel sorry for that rhumba boy if he ever 3) identifies himself.
戴夫: 若那个伦巴男孩现身,我还真会替他感到难过。
Zina: So do I.
吉娜: 我也是。
语言详解
A: She applied so much make-up to her face that I don't recognize her anymore.
她在脸上用了好多化妆品,我都认不出她来了。
B: I thought she was wearing a mask.
我还以为她戴了面具呢。
【So do I. 我也是。】
谈话中对方提到某种想法或动作,而你要表示同感时常会用到这个句型,要注意助动词do要置于主词 I 之前。类似的句型还有So am I.也表示“我也是”。
使用So do I 或So am I 取决于对方是否使用be动词,使用be 动词则用So am I,其他动词则用So do I. 。
A: I want to find out where John is.
我想要找出约翰到底在哪里。
B: So do I.
我也是。
A: I'm anxious to know if I'm admitted to the college.
我急于想知道我是否被那所大学录取了。
B: So am I.
我也是。
1) faint of heart 心生畏惧
2) apply (v.) 适用,运用
3) identify oneself 表明身分
SCENE① A 加州的资讯王办公室
13、另一张绿色便条纸
Zina: Dave! Look at this!
吉娜: 戴夫!你看这个!
Dave: You don't have to yell, Zina. I'm just one 1) cubicle away.
戴夫: 你不必用喊的,吉娜。我才离你一个隔间而已。
Zina: Somebody left another green post-it note.
吉娜: 有人留了另一张绿色便条纸。
Dave: Was it your humba boy again?
戴夫: 又是你那个“伦巴男孩”啊?
Zina: It says, You look so 2) frail, / but I know you're tough like a nail. / To me, you are more beautiful than free e-mail.
吉娜: 上面写着:“你看来娇柔,但我知道你如钢铁般强韧。对我来说,你比免费的伊妹儿还要讨人喜欢。”
Dave: Wow. He really likes you, doesn't he?
戴夫: 哇,他还真喜欢你,不是吗
语言详解
A: Brian went off in class and yelled at the teacher.
布莱恩在课堂上情绪失控还对老师大喊。
B: That guy is totally out of control.
那家伙真是 完全失去控制了。
【doesn't he? 不是吗?】
这是所谓附加疑问句,是添加在句末的问句,是为了确定自己讯息正确或为了得到对方的赞同。肯定附加疑问句希望得到否定回答,否定附加疑问句希望获得肯定回答。
A: This is the book that you want,isn't it?
这是你要的那本书,不是吗?
B: Yes, it is.
正是。
A: You don't like coffee, do you?
你不喜欢咖啡,是吗?
B: No, I don't.
对,我不喜欢。
1)cubicle (n.) (办公室) 隔间
2) frail (a.) 柔弱的
14、有谁一早就在这里了?
Zina: Who has been here already this morning?
吉娜: 今天有谁一早就在这里了?
Dave: Well, Vince dropped off some sales reports for you. Said you signed a big deal with HomeSupplies.com.
戴夫: 呃,文斯丢了一些销售报告给你。说你签下了HomeSupplies.com这个大客户。
Zina: They're 1) small fry. Tonight I'm going to LA to 2) negotiate with Stars.com. That'll be big.
吉娜: 小菜一碟。我今晚要飞去洛杉矶跟Stars.com协商。那可大了。
Dave: You're right. All the 3) entertainment web sites follow Stars.com.
戴夫: 没错。所有的娱乐网站都以Stars.com马首是瞻。
Zina: Who else has been here?
吉娜: 还有谁到过这里来?
Dave: Elvin stopped by to see me.
戴夫: 艾文顺道过来找了我一会儿。
Zina: Elvin? Which one is he?
吉娜: 艾文?他是哪一个啊?
语言详解
A: Did you sign a contract before agreeing to work for him?
在你同意为他工作前先签合约了吗?
B: He told me we would do it later.
他说那个晚点儿 再签。
【stop by 顺道拜访】
stop by是指你在要去一个地方的途中,因为顺路而到某人家拜访:
A:I was going to the store and thought I would stop by.
我正要去店里,就想可以顺道过来。
B:I'm so glad you did!
我真高兴你来了!
stop by也可以用来表达“稍作停留,不会久留”的意思:
A: I just stopped by to see if you needed anything.
我只是过来看一下你是否需要什么。
B: I need some more cough medicine.
我还需要多一些咳嗽药。
1) small fry 微不足道的事
2) negotiate (v.) 协商,协调
3) entertainment (n.) 娱乐
15、集怪胎与朋克于一身
Dave: You don't know Elvin? 1) Studly programmer 2) numero uno? With the 3) ponytail and nose ring?
戴夫: 你不认识艾文?那个头好壮壮,叫我第一名的程序设计师?绑马尾穿鼻环的那个?
Zina: Great. A 4) geek and a 5) punk all rolled into one. Just my type.
吉娜: 好极了。集怪胎与朋克于一身。正合我意。
Dave: You think he's the one?
戴夫: 你觉得那个人就是他?
Zina: Could be. He sounds like a 6) prime suspect.
吉娜: 有可能。他听起来很像头号嫌疑犯。
Dave: What about your 7) assistant? She was here looking for you just now.
戴夫: 那你的助理呢?她刚刚才来找过你。
Zina: Mary? Please, Dave. Anyway, I know it couldn't be her. She has a boyfriend.
吉娜: 玛莉?帮帮忙,戴夫。反正我知道不可能是她。她有男朋友了。
Dave: Yeah, but I bet he's nothing like you.
戴夫: 是啊,但我敢说他跟你可不一样。
语言详解
A: What's your job title?
你的职称是什么?
B: I'm an assistant professor of chemistry.
我是化学系的助理教授。
【be nothing like... 可不像……】
be nothing like...这个句型可以用来比较两个人的不同:
A: Your sister is nothing like you.
你的姐姐跟你完全不像。
B: I know, she's much more independent than I am.
我知道。她比我独立多了。
除了比较人以外,你也可以用这个句型来对事物或是地方做比较,可以是好,可以是坏:
A: This job is nothing like the one I used to have.
这个工作跟我以前的是两个样。
B: Hang in there. Maybe it will get better.
撑着点。或许情况会好转的。
1) studly (a.) (俚) 健壮帅气的
2) numero uno(意,西)即 number one “第一名,头号人物”。
3) ponytail (n.)(发饰)马尾
4) geek (n.) 怪胎
5) punk (n.) 朋克,指发型服饰怪异新潮的族群,指源于美国70年代因摇滚乐兴起的运动。
6) prime suspect 头号嫌疑犯
7) assistant (n.) 助手
SCENE② A 艾文与玛莉在意式浓缩咖啡前出现
16、我不敢居功
Mary: Are you Elvin?
玛莉: 你是艾文吗?
Elvin: Elvin Dixon. Who are you?
艾文: 艾文迪克森。你是谁?
Mary: I'm Mary. I want to say I really 1) admire the software you're designed.
玛莉: 我是玛莉。我真的很欣赏你设计的软件。
Elvin: Easy stuff. But thanks. And the 1)admiration is 2) mutual.
艾文: 简单的玩意。不过还是谢了。这份欣赏是彼此彼此。
Mary: It is?
玛莉: 真的?
Elvin: You're selling InfoKing 3) subscriptions like nobody's business. And we don't even have a working 4) demo yet.
艾文: 你把“资讯王”的订阅卖得如入无人之境。 而我们甚至连能用的样品都还没着落呢。
Mary: I can't take the credit for that. I'm just Zina's assistant. She's the 5) pro.
玛莉: 我不敢居功。我只是吉娜的助手。她才是高手。
语言详解
A: Here's a demo of our product.
这是我们产品的样品。
B: Thank you. I'll take a look at it and get back in touch with you.
谢谢。我看过之后再联络你。
【like nobody's business 如入无人之境】
like nobody's business可以用来表达“无人能出其右”,形容此人相当有一手:
A: They play the blues like nobody's business.
他们演奏蓝调的技巧无人能敌。
B: I have to go and see them.
我一定要去看看他们。
【take the credit居功】
credit是“功劳,赞扬”的意思,take the credit就是指“因为功劳而接受赞扬”,可以用在正面的“居功”。
A: Josh, you are amazing!
乔许,你真是令人不可思议!
B: I can't take the credit for this job. We all worked hard on it.
这工作我不能居功。大家都很努力。
1) admire (v.) 仰慕,钦羡;名词是admiration
2) mutual (a.) 互相的
3) subscription (n.) 订阅
4) demo (n.) (商品的)样品,demonstration的略缩。
5) pro (n.) 专家,系professional 的略缩